Continuing summaries for 1 year of Smiley Sociey here’s top 10 psychological facts facts I find most interesting)! 🤗:
10. The cells in your body react to everything your mind says. So negativity brings down your immune system and you feel sick.
9. If you can’t stop your stream of thoughts at night, get up and write them down. This will set your mind at ease so you can sleep.
8. Writing down negative thoughts and tossing them in a trash can is a psychological trick that can improve your mood.
7. The smell of an orange or eating one can reduce stress by over 70%.
6. People who spend money on experiences report being happier than those who spend money on objects.
5. Laughter relieves stress, anxiety, depression and reduces risk of cancer which is why a sense of humor is attractive and healthy!
4. Volunteers are significantly more satisfied with their lives than non-volunteers.
3. Travel boosts brain health and also decreases a person’s risk of heart attack and depression.
2. Being with happy people makes you happier.
1. Research has found that good relationships are more important to a long life than exercise.
Eat Yourself Happy With These 8 Endorphin-Releasing Foods!
Feeling down? Want to make yourself feel better? Here are some foods that will encourage your brain’s endorphin (happy hormones) release 😊: ·Chocolate 🍫
·Animal proteins 🥩🥚
·Spicy foods 🌶
· Grapes 🍇
· Nuts and seeds 🌰
Go and check if you have any of those in the kitchen and simply be happy! 😊
What do you know about endophin, famous hormone of happiness?
Endorphins are chemicals produced naturally by the nervous system to cope with pain or stress. They are often called “feel-good” chemicals because they can act as a pain reliever and happiness booster.
The well-known “runner’s high” that is felt after lengthy, vigorous exercise is due to an increase in endorphin levels.
The level of endorphins in the human body varies from person to person. People who have lower levels may be more likely to have depression or fibromyalgia, but more research is needed in this area.
How to get your body to produce more endorphins?
Here are couple ways to boost the production:
🔸️Regular exercise 💪
🔸️Giving (Volunteering, donating, and helping others may also make a person feel good) 🤝
🔸️Yoga and meditation 🧘🏼♀️
🔸️Spicy foods 🌶
🔸️Dark chocolate 🍫
Did you know all this?
I think i’m gonna go get some dark chocolate 😋
Today I want to talk to you about sleep. Having a good night sleep and feeling rested in the morning has enormous effect on your mood so it is important to make sure you sleep well. ⚠️ Here’s 12 facts about SLEEPING.💤
1.It is very important what you do 2-3h before sleeping. When you fall asleep while overthinking, the mind remains active as if you were awake which is why you tend to wake up tired. Try to relax before sleep time. Also, don’t look at blue light (so no phones, no tv) at least 30min before bed time 🚫📱
2.Bedroom should be only used for sleeping (and sex). You shouldn’t work in bed, watch tv or even read books. Make sure that your brain connects bed only with rest. This way your mind will reprogram into „a sleeping mode” when you go to bed and you’ll fall asleep easier. Bed is not a place for work! 🛌
3.Medically speaking, it would be best if your bedroom had only bed in it and nothing more. If you can do it. Especially get rid of radios, TV and computers 🚫🖥
4.When you wake up in the middle of the night don’t check what time it is 🕜
5.Find your rhythm and try to go to sleep at the same time everyday and get up at the same time 🌠
6.Make sure it is as dark in your bedroom as it can get. The darker the better. It helps your body produce melatonin (an important hormone) 🌃
7.Make sure it is quiet. No clock that tick tocks, no humming sound, nothing. It should be total silence there 🔇
8.The older you get the less sleep you need. When 20-30 years old you need 7.5-8h of sleep everyday; 30-40 around 7h. When you’re over 40 only 6h of sleep will be enough and over 50 even 5h will do. But! Sleeping for less than five hours any night decreases the productivity of your immune system, metabolism and the body’s response to stress 🤯
9.Good sleep makes you more creative and makes your memory stronger 🧠
10.Lack of a good night sleep makes it difficult to absorb new things 🤷🏼♀️
11.Getting more sleep will decrease your chances of experiencing and being more affected by negative emotions☺
12.The happier you are, the less sleep you require to function in everyday life. Sadness increases the urge to sleep more 🤗
When stressed, when tired, when overwhelmed or disoriented – clear your head.
We tend to be in a bad mood when there’s a chaos in our heads. All you need to do is to organize your thoughts and answer all the questions that keep bouncing in your mind.
Sit down, close your eyes and focus on your thoughts. What do you hear? Is your mind telling you over and over about some things you need to remember? Is it visualising one of your problems? Is there a chaos in your head cause you don’t know what to do about something? Write your thoughts down. It always helps me. The process of writing itself works as a cleanse for your mind cause you’re taking bunch of your thoughts from your mind and you’re leaving it on paper. For example, when your mind keeps telling you to remember to do something the next day just write it down in your calendar. Whenever I have a new idea for something or just wake up full of new thoughts I take my calendar and write down all the things I need to do. Even small ones like „write an email to Mr X” or „buy a gift for your brother”. Whenever I „take that thought out” of my brain and write it down my mind stops screaming about it and it’s calmer up there. Same with approaching all problems – if I find myself in a new situation, have a problem to deal with, I think of a solution, try to think of who can I contact for help, where do I need to call etc and just write it all in my calendar. Some pages can be full of small things to do but it is so much easier when you just wake up, look at the calendar and you know what to do.
As you may already know I do a lot of things (work, music agency, blog, my secret project 😉 and many other things) so whenever I feel overwhelmed and feel lost in this all I take a piece of paper, divide it into groups and write down where am I at each project, what needs to be done, where do I want to go with it etc. Write all your questions or doubts down as well. When you have it all on the paper just look at it and read it out loud. You should feel calmer when you know what you stand on and when you see (literally see on paper) what else you need to do. You can combine two things and after doing such cleanse on paper with all your projects, doubts and questions written down write all the next steps you need to take in your calendar. Don’t put too much on 1 day though. There’s no rush, give yourself time.
If you have a tough decision to make – write all the pros and cons down. Writting down helps a lot!
Another thing you can do to clean your mind is cleaning your apartament. It is scientifically proven that when you clean your apartament you feel calmer and „clean” in your head too.
Also, when you’re full of stressful or chaotic thoughts – take your trash out. This is proven to connect to your mind and when you throw out your garbage you throw out your bad thoughts too!
One of my New Year’s resolutions is to move and excercise more. Having an office job and sitting in front of computer (working on my projects or writing posts) afterwards is so bad for my body that I just need to do something about it. I used to work out regularly but due to lack of time (and a bit of being lazy too) I stoped and now I need to get back to it.
Do you excercise regularly? If not, you definitely should!
- Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals and hormones that will leave you feeling happier, more relaxed and less anxious.
- Working out is great way to get rid of anger too! Feeling angry? Go for a kickboxing session or jogging! I love both.
- If you work out regularly it will improve your appearance (you’ll lose weight and/or gain muscles) which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem.
- Exercise delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lung health improve, you have more energy to tackle daily chores. You won’t get tired so easily.
- Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster, get better sleep and deepen your sleep. Just don’t exercise too close to bedtime, or you may be too energized to go to sleep.
- Regular exercise helps prevent or manage a wide range of health problems and concerns, including stroke, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, depression, anxiety, many types of cancer, arthritis and falls.
Honestly? There’s nothing bad about it! If you don’t like going to the gym find your way of excercising in something else, it doesn’t have to be only weights and treadmill. Go swimming! Ride a bike! Or simply take long walks.
Which one will you choose?
It’s winter time which means lack of sun (especially in Europe). This affects our body a lot hence it affects our mind as well. Do you know what the sun brings (apart from the heat) to our body? Vitamin D! And this is what your body is missing now. Make sure to take Vitamin D in pills during autumn and winter. It is so important! It will make you feel better, you’ll have more energy! You’ll see 😊
Do you take Vitamin D?